Chemistry at Rydal Penrhos School is not just a “flash in the pan” subject with a particular penchant for practical skills. We aim to discover the hidden secrets that the ancients could not see. The journey starts with a nucleus of an idea, orbiting around the concept, until we gain sufficient impetus to become highly charged about a particular subject. We then deviate along rainbow streets with chromatic colours and separate off into individual aspects of the course.
"The journey starts with a nucleus of an idea"
Why study Chemistry?
- To stimulate and sustain the pupil’s interest in and enjoyment of chemistry
- To stimulate and sustain the pupil’s interest in and capacity for learning in general
- To develop the pupil’s problem solving, data-handling, evaluative thinking and practical abilities
- To show some of the social, economic and environmental significance and consequences of chemistry
- To provide pupils with a body of knowledge and understanding suitable for those who will go on to study chemistry and pharmacy at Higher Education and for those who will study medicine, dentistry, veterinary science, biochemistry, geology and environmental science
The department has three laboratories all fully ICT equipped with interactive white boards and a well-stocked Prep room.
All pupils take GCSE core and additional Science. Within this they are taught all three sciences by specialised teachers within the respective subject areas. Some pupils then go on to study separate Chemistry at GCSE. Pupils then have the opportunity to study Chemistry at AS/A or IB level. We have many pupils who successfully enter further education to study Medical, Dentistry and Veterinary Sciences.
Head of Department
Mr M Pender BSc
Email Mr Pender
Chemistry teaching staff
Dr M Brown BSc, PhD
Dr G Roberts BSc, PhD
Mrs C Lavery BSc
Mrs C Davis