The ALN Department’s role is to cater for pupils from Year 7 through to Sixth form who have a specific learning disability or difficulty or who require specialist assistance.
Rydal Penrhos is committed to providing an appropriate and high-quality education to all of its pupils. We believe that all children, including those who are identified as having additional learning needs have a common entitlement to a broad and balanced academic and social curriculum, which is accessible to all of them, and to be fully included in all aspects of school life.
If a literacy or numeracy need has been identified prior to joining, or during their school life, pupils are offered support in consultation with parents. All lessons are taught by specialist teachers who create and deliver individualized educational programmes through a multi sensory, cumulative approach.
Decisions regarding the allocation and timing of Learning Support lessons, are based on a number of factors, which include the needs of the individual student, the wishes of the parent and student, as well as the views of the relevant Head of Department and subject teacher.
- All pupils in years 7 and 8 are screened. If we have any concerns, parents are contacted and a full assessment by the Heads of Department is undertaken.
- A referral process is also used throughout the school, whereby if a teacher has concerns over a pupil’s learning, we observe work, question staff, speak with parents and assess.
- If a pupil requires further investigation we refer them to an educational psychologist assessment or another appropriate external body.
- Pupils who show some difficulty are monitored by us.
- Pupils are usually exempt from a foreign language, depending on how many lessons they need, in agreement with parents. However, some pupils are exempt from their weakest subjects if this is deemed more appropriate.
- Lessons are taught on an individual, paired or group basis, but are determined according to the need of the pupil. These lessons are structured, progressive and multi sensory.
Heads of Department
Mrs A Cashell _BEd, Dip. SpLD _
Email Mrs Cashell
SEN teaching staff
Mrs C Boyd BA
Mr E Parry BA, FRAS