Rydal Penrhos pupil enjoys phenomenal success on the water.
Llion Morris continues to make strides in a sailing environment. The Year 10 pupil has gone from a novice youngster to one of the brightest young prospects anywhere in the country thanks to the exceptional dedication and passion he’s displayed during his first few years of what promises to be a fantastic career.
To say Llion has achieved plenty over the years would be something of an understatement. He is currently ranked No. 8 in the Laser 4.7 National boys qualifiers after a notable showing during the latest series of races in October.
There are 5 further qualifiers scheduled for January and March 2021 for consideration for the Europeans and World events in July/August – which would be the pinnacle of Llion’s young career to date.
His level of consistency at high-profile competitions is extraordinary. Here is just a snippet of what the pupil has accomplished so far.
- Won 1st for 3 Llandudno club races.
- Won 1st British Youth Sailing (BYS) regional event in Topper in Mumbles 2019.
- Welsh Topper Championship Trophy 2019.
- Won the Welsh Topper Championship at Pwllheli April and won the plate 2019.
- Won CYCR gold Topper Trophy summer 2018.
- Won Bala on board Topper Slate Trophy, 2017.
This incredible list of achievements caught the attention of national selectors from a very early age. Llion has progressed through RYA Cymru Wales squads onto GBR level, which is a strong indicator of the hard work he’s putting into improving.
- Welsh Laser Transition squad (4.7 Laser): Aged 15 yrs – current.
- RYA GBR Topper squad 2019/2020: Aged 14 yrs.
- Welsh National Topper squad 2017/2018 + 2018/2019: Aged 12, 13 and 14 yrs
- ITCA (GBR) Topper squad 2018/2019: Aged 13yrs.
- Welsh Regional Topper squad 2016/2017: Aged 11yrs.
As one of the very few schools in the UK able to teach sailing and water-sports as part of our enhanced school curriculum for pupils from Year 3 to Year 8, Rydal Penrhos offers certification at RYA Level 1-4 and beyond; Sailing with Spinnakers, Performance Sailing, Seamanship Skills and powerboat courses up to Level 2.
Llion is also thriving from an academic perspective, which he is combining superbly well with his sailing training after being given ‘elite athlete’ status by Sport Wales during the coronavirus pandemic.
He also took it upon himself to assist the local community during the first lockdown period earlier this year, making PPE for keyworker facilities from home alongside his sister and Prep School pupil Sophie.
Rydal Penrhos is now able to offer private tours to prospective pupils and their families.